|Photo: Greg Little|
Banavie near Fort William
- The wildfire at Banavie has been extinguished and is under control. Crews are in attendance to maintain a watching brief and check for any hot spots.
- At its height, there was a 3 mile fire front with 8 appliances and 50 personnel who worked throughout the night to control the fire.
- There is currently a large fire front with and crews in attendance who are making good progress in dealing with this heath and moorland fire.
- There is a significant fire with crews in attendance currently assessing the risk to property with an Officer mobilised to assist in the incident management.
- There is a heath and moorland fire in the hills around this area. Crews are assessing the wildfire and the risk to properties in the area.
- The wildfire at Lochinver is under control. Crews remain in attendance to monitor the incident.
- There is an ongoing wildfire with crews in attendance to deal with the incident.
I was near Oban yesterday and can confirm that conditions were very, very dry. I expect that the conditions further north are as bad if not drier. The easterly wind was very blustery, which would make it very difficult to predict the behaviour of a fire.
At the risk of generalising, but based on the conditions I saw, and these wildfire reports, I think it most unlikely that conditions are suitable for muirburn anywhere in the north and west of Scotland. Great caution must be exercised before lighting fires for any purpose.