Tuesday 30 April 2013

Burning for grouse alters upland stream ecology

This is a report on recently published research by the University of Leeds.  The title is rather more emotive than the report, and it is encouraging to note the reference to the need to take economic factors into account.

Although there are obvious concerns about the impact of burning on peatland and the downstream effects on water quality, I am more concerned about the impact of bad burning practices and wildfire.  I believe that use of best practice burning techniques by skilled moorland managers will produce the best results for grouse, heather, peatland, water and other ecosystems.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please send me any comments on the content of this Blog. I may not agree with you but I will always welcome your feedback!