Tuesday 20 September 2011

Asulam - the appeal fails

The news from the appeal hearing is bad and the appeal has failed.  This means that Asulam will be removed from the list of chemicals approved for use in the EU.  It appears that there was not enough support from other Member States.

The expiry date for sale, supply and advertisement is 31 December 2011 and 31 December 2012 for storage and usage.  The Commission has argued that Member States have the scope to issue “emergency authorisations" nationally to tide them over the period required to make a new submission. If this happens, it is likely to take at least 4 years before a decision granting approval is taken in the EU.  Emergency authorisations would be the only option available for authorised use within this period.

I have not got my head round the options at this stage, and I will post more information as it becomes available.  In practical terms, it would appear that bracken control using Asulam will be possible next season (2012), but any extension beyond that will depend on emergency authorisation.

I fall back on the maxim that “where there is a will, there is a way".  I believe that the support for Asulam is considerable and therefore we must find the way so that it continues to be available.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please send me any comments on the content of this Blog. I may not agree with you but I will always welcome your feedback!