The Report provides useful information & background, it is rather one sided, amongst other things:
- it makes no reference to the benefits for other species of grouse moor management
- it appears to discredit the Heather & Grass Burning Regulations and Code
- management input appears to be viewed as completely negative
- it does not address wildfire issues, the risks associated with rank vegetation or the risk reduction benefits offered by prescribed burning
- there is no reference to the need to work with land owners and managers, apart from the still rather confusing message about the potential of carbon trading to provide income
- it does not address the economic importance of the uplands & the support they provide for communities
There is scope to use this Report as a basis for discussion and I am hoping that the heather burning issues can be discussed at the next meeting of the Moorland Burning Working Group that takes place later this month.