Thursday 8 March 2012

Wales: Burn safely and in season

See the Welsh Government's News release for some reminders about heather burning in Wales:
+  the season ends on 31 March in the uplands, and 15 March elsewhere
+  a burning plan is required
+ the Fire & Rescue Service should be informed before lighting any fires.

Yet again there is an emphasis on the damage that fires can cause and no mention of why burning should take place to improve the condition of heathland vegetation through management.  I hope that someone is getting the message somewhere as I fear that the authorities in Wales see burning as a threat, not as something that provides benefit.

See the earlier post from 26 January that provided details of the leaflet "Heather & Grass Burning in Wales"

The comment facility is available to prove my fears are ill-founded.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please send me any comments on the content of this Blog. I may not agree with you but I will always welcome your feedback!