Friday 5 June 2009

Heather Cutting & Baling


Although I would always advocate that burning heather is the best solution, cutting is an alternative where burning is not possible or undesirable. Clearly cutting is only possible where there is machinery access and it might be of particular interest when the existing heather is old and rank.

I have been on the lookout for a moor where it is possible to 'cut and cart' old heather for some time as there is a market for it! We have a link to a firm that uses heather as a bio-filtration medium and although the payment is unlikely to cover all the costs of the process, the income might make the removal of the heather financially viable. The website has more details here.

I am disappointed that despite circulating details and contacting many people we have not yet found a moor that will benefit from this approach. I am convinced that such a place must exist. Let me know if you have such an area or know of somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please send me any comments on the content of this Blog. I may not agree with you but I will always welcome your feedback!