Saturday 27 February 2010

Moorland Association - Upland Policy Guide

I was pleased to be invited to attend the launch of the Upland Policy Guide in London on 22 February.  I had some input into the draft document along with 5 other organisations.  The Guide provides 21 recommendations about how the next Government should improve policy to safeguard and extend integrated grouse moor management.  Amongst other issues, the recommendations cover:

  • regeneration of heather moorland (703 sq mls has been lost);
  • land owners and managers should work closely together to achieve an agreed plan with minimal burden and cost on government agencies;
  • predator control should be carried out to boost declining bird populations; and
  • heather must be managed.
What do you think about this document?  Has it missed anything?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please send me any comments on the content of this Blog. I may not agree with you but I will always welcome your feedback!