The weather has even affected the workings of the Trust and we elected to postpone the Board meeting that should have taken place in Edinburgh, today. It was a good job we did, as Carstairs was out of commission through a signalling defect all morning, which would have stranded those of us who would have travelled from the south.
However, all is not lost as I managed to catch a flight down to Bristol and I am in place ready to speak at a meeting to discuss burning practices on Exmoor, tomorrow morning. It would have been easier if I could have used to time spent making sure I got here on writing my presentation. Who needs sleep when there are moorland management issues to address? I will be trying to encourage a lively debate with a view to getting more good quality burning, or swaling as it is known here, carried out to regenerate the tired heather, provide better grazing and improve the conservation status of the moors.